We have all been exposed to many positivity related catch phrases like 'Attitude is a choice' or 'Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind' and they may be very good to hear and read but how can we apply this mind set to our current situation to ensure we emerge strong and better than before.
Tuning into any news channel or having a conversation with anyone from a family member, friends to colleagues invariably refocuses your attention to the current pandemic and the negativity surrounding it. From conspiracy theories to actual fact, from salary cuts to job redundancies the list of negative news is abundant. So the question of the hour is how does one remain positive in the face of so much negativity.
We recommend the following 5 tips :
1. Do as the Sunflowers do: Identify your own person 'Sun', your source of positive energy and fun that will help you work through the dark clouds and increase your energy to achieve more. It can be something as simple as colouring in a doodle book or as complicated as creating a 1000 piece Lego structure. This will allow you to do something fun while also helping you gain that that much needed feeling of satisfaction of a completed task.
2. Be relentless with praise: Receiving praise is important in all that we do. Yet it is one of the most ignored/overlooked attributes of our personal and professional lives. Use every opportunity to praise and to accept praise. Research has proven that hearing praise between three to six times as often as criticism can sustain employee satisfaction, success in relations and will lead to a happy, flourishing life.
3. Set aside some 'ME' time: The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu rightly stated "Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time', is like saying, 'I don't want to'". Yet when it comes to our personal wellbeing we often deny ourselves the same while hiding behind the excuse of 'Where is the time'. So now is the time to take a break and do some meditation, yoga or take a bubble bath and just give yourself time to be alone and silent.
4. Exercise regularly and eat healthy: While you work towards keeping your attitude and mental state positive, ensure you supplement it with regular exercise which can vary from some easy to do stretching exercises to high intensity cardio routines. While you work out your body remember to fuel it with healthy and interesting food and snacks.
5. Focus on one thing at a time: A great many of us feel compelled to multi-task at our work place and this ability seems to be required in a higher magnitude now that so many of us are working from home. However this is a flawed theory because multi-tasking in essence means we are providing only partial attention to each project. So take a step back, prioritize and rework your schedule to enable you to focus on one thing at a time.
Start with one of these tricks and commit to practising it every day and once that becomes a routine or habit, start with another.
You will not be able to completely uproot negativity from your life, as it may sometimes feel like the world is working against you and that the list of negative things seems endless but if you start implementing some of these strategies in your life you will be able to add more positivity in your life and focus less on the negative aspects.